NAMI Waukesha Annual Awards Dinner
NAMI Waukesha hosted our 20th Annual Awards Dinner on March 3rd at the Holiday Inn Pewaukee Milwaukee West hotel. At this event, many members of our community gathered together to honor and give recognition to the dedicated mental health professionals, advocates, and volunteers in our community who help those who have a mental illness or those who have a friend or loved one who is affected by mental illness.
NAMI Waukesha offers our sincerest congratulations to all who received awards and to the countless others who dedicated their time, work, and volunteer hours to help those affected with mental illness and their loved ones. We were delighted by all of the generous donations that we received for the silent auction. Ninety-two people attended this inspiring and memorable event, and due to everyone’s generosity, donations and hard work, we raised over $5,600!
OUR 2015 HONOREES
Consumer Advocate of the Year: Elizabeth (Libby) Sinclair
Mental Health Professional of the Year: Dr. Michael Raster, MD
Volunteer of the Year: Jo Schreiber
Excellence in Community Service Award: Specialist Dave Neill & Cheryl L. Collier
Special Recognition Award: Robyn Hardt-Schultz, Ph.D & Christy Bowden
Crisis Intervention Team Officer Excellence Award: Deputy Kim Unger
Andrew G. Werlein Advocacy Award: John Quaal
NAMI Waukesha Consumer Council Health & Wellness Fair
Join the NAMI Waukesha Consumer Council and Spring City Corner Clubhouse for the annual Health & Wellness fair for individuals affected by mental illness.
Health & Wellness Fair highlights include:
- Fair is open to anyone affected by Mental Illness
- Health Information: Fitness, Nutrition, Smoking Cessation
- Health Screening: Blood Pressure, BMI, Diabetes Risk
- Healthy Lifestyle: Yoga, Massage
- Over 20 booths covering all aspects of health and wellness
- Admission is free and includes a free healthy lunch
Health & Wellness Fair Information
Friday, April 17, 2015
9:30 AM to 12:30 PM
Spring City Corner Clubhouse
247 Wisconsin Ave
For additional details please contact Cathy at 262-409-2748
Free Yoga Classes
Join Certified Yoga Instructor Sharon Sampon for a 4 week yoga journey. Yoga is all about balance between breath and movement, effort and relaxation, mind and body.
Wednesdays: April 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd & 29th
6:30 to 7:15 PM
217 Wisconsin Ave
Waukesha, WI 53186
To sign up for more information call Sharon at 262-542-9027
NAMI Waukesha Survivors Helping Survivors Support Group
Have you recently lost a loved one to suicide? Your feelings of grief, sadness, shock, isolation, anger and guilt may seem overwhelming. You may wonder if you will ever recover. These are normal responses. There is help from others who, like you, have experienced this tragedy. They want to help you recover and, most of all, they want you to know that you are not alone.
Survivors Helping Survivors is open to all family members and friends of a loved one who has completed suicide. There is no need to register, no fee and you are welcome to attend as often as you would like.
PLEASE JOIN US
2nd Tuesday of Each Month
217 Wisconsin Ave, Ste 300
Waukesha, WI 53186.
Please contact Mary at 262-409-2741
Recovery is a journey and there is hope for all families and individuals dealing with a brain disorder. The in-person group experience of NAMI Basics provides the opportunity for mutual support and positive impact. You can experience compassion and reinforcement from people who relate to your experiences. Through your participation, you have the opportunity to help others grow.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Meets for six sessions, 2.5 hours each, free of cost.
- Designed for parents and other family caregivers of children and adolescents living with mental illness.
- Taught by a team of trained teachers who are family caregivers of individuals who developed symptoms of mental illness as children.
- Provides critical information and strategies related to caregiving.
- Incorporates presentations, discussion and interactive exercises.
BENEFITS OF ATTENDING
- A toolkit of information
- Up-to-date information on a range of mental illnesses and their impact on the brain.
- Current research on treatments including evidence-based therapies, medications and side effects.
- Preparation for interactions with the mental health care system, school system and juvenile justice system.
- Training in preparedness and emotional resiliency
- Skills related to managing crises, solving problems and communicating effectively.
- Strategies for self-care and for navigating the challenges presented by mental illness for each family member.
- Empowerment as an effective advocate for your child.
- Confidence and stamina for life-long understanding and support.
- A COMMUNITY. Perhaps most importantly, as a participant you can gain comfort in knowing you are not alone.
NAMI Basics Dates
Start Date: Sat, April 18, 2015
End Date: Sat, May 30, 2015
(Please Note: No Memorial Day Meeting)
217 Wisconsin Ave, Ste 300
Waukesha, WI 53186
Robyn Hardt-Schultz and Christy Bowden
Please contact Barbara Ducey
P (262) 409-2743